No one can tell you if you and your roommate are going to be best friends, but there are some things that you can do to try to ensure that you have a positive relationship with your roommate.
Roommate Bill of Rights:
- Establish an environment free of physical and emotional harm
- Respect each other’s personal space and private property
- Share the bathroom in consideration of their needs
- Sleep without interference from loud roommate disturbances
- Maintain a clean living environment
- Consistently follow payment schedule and procedures
- Welcome guests as long as they respect the rights of others
- Read and study undisturbed in a pre-defined quiet area of the apartment
- Never perform illegal actions in the shared premise
- Take into consideration roommates’ wants or needs before making a group decision
For additional information and support navigating off-campus living and healthy roommate relationships, contact UMBC’s Off-Campus Student Services by visiting their website, calling 410-455-2770, or visiting in the Commons 1A02 (next to the bookstore).
For support with healthy on-campus roommate living situations, you can contact your RA or community director.